Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Open House or Open Mouth

Yesterday I attended my niece's guitar class, chili supper, book fair and open house at school. Oh and I worked (ok, not all day, but a good portion of it). It dawned on me why I don't have kids. God in his infamous wisdom realized I don't have the energy. I was "plumb wore out". It did not help that as I was about to meet her PE teacher, the last teacher of the night, rudeness showed its ugly head. We, Katie, her Mom and myself, had made the long journey around the school, twice, and stood behind a very talkative couple to meet the amazing PE teacher. This couple went on and on and on, then as we thought they had wrapped it up, they went on and on some more. Not to the rude part yet! As they began to wrap it up, another child entered into the invisible barrier and encroached upon our space. She began talking before the other couple even left, this approach seemed to work, because her mother joined her immediately. We, being the polite people we are, stood in awe. I, of course, have my hand on my hip and am wondering do people have manners anymore. Just as my thoughts were forming, this lady, and I use the term lightly, came barreling past me, running into my extended elbow and begins talking to the PE teacher as if we are not even there. Evidently the PE teacher had recently married (over the summer) and noone could believe it and this particular women had to have all the details. Now this woman was at least in her early 60's and should know better. We again stood listening to their conversation, which I surely thought would only last a couple of minutes, until we had enough. I turned and began to leave and the others followed. Katie wanted to know didn't I want to meet the PE teacher, I said of course I would love to, because she seems to be very popular and has a very interesting life, so much so that everyone wants to talk to her. Did these people forget this is an open house. Meet the teacher, talk about the class activities, get out of the way for the poor teacher to repeat the same thing over and over again. I am sure that most people that were in my path as I was exiting the building, saw my red face and determined walk, because noone seemed to encroach on my space again. I don't like being rude and am always appalled at those who are. I did, however, keep my mouth shut and was thankful that Terry had stayed in the first classroom waiting for us. He would not have been so polite!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish Terry had been there. :)

Anonymous said...

2 thngs about that:
1- I believe the Lord gave a few of US the "breather" the rest of the world needed...after all...who else would fill in the "spaces"?
2- At a school open house - ONE must get her rest. What else do expect? That you'll be the only one "pulping" the teachers? Besides, apples only fall from the apple tree. Society does grow some wierd ones. In the end...it's all apple sauce.