Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Piano Lessons

I’m 46 years old and I’m finally taking piano lessons. I seem to be getting a lot of grief from co-workers. They like to laugh at me and call me the next Liberace. That’s okay; I told them they will have to pay full price for tickets to my concerts.

I am enjoying this so much. I have always had a desire to learn the piano and am so fortunate to be able to finally do it.

My first “song” was Amazing Grace, which just reinforced the idea that I could learn something even at this age. I was worried that my arthritic fingers would hinder me, but I seem to be doing just fine. I received my first star yesterday for reading my first notes. I came back to work proudly showing it off! Man that’ll teach them. They were all jealous. I mean when was the last time they received a gold star. Mine was red with sunglasses. I would have settled for a gold one, but they must be hard to find, because my piano teacher only had ones with faces on them. I think that anyone learning anything should wait until they are older, because I am amazed at the focus I have. I suppose it’s because at this age I can only focus on one thing at a time.

I know it seems that I’m making 46 sound old, but when you are sure that you’re life will end in your 50’s, well then 46 seems to be at the end of life and not the beginning. That’s what pushed me to go ahead with the lessons. I said there were three things I wanted to do before I leave this world and one of them was to learn the piano. So thought I’d better get on it! I’ll let you know how it goes. (You thought I’d tell you the other two, well you’ll have to wait until I start them)

2 comments:

Mise en Place said...

Piano lessons? How great!! Now we have someone to call when Miss Jan out.

You just crack me UP!

Anonymous said...

You can teach me :)