Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Change


I went to the doctor today and got an A on my checkup! Yeah me! According to their scales I have lost 17 lbs since the 7th of January. According to mine I have lost 20 lbs since January 1st. With 3 weeks of liquids you would think it would be more! They told me I could go to a blended diet. Okay I know you are asking, "What is a blended diet?". Imagine any kind of protein, i.e. eggs, chicken, tuna, etc. scrambled or finely chopped up, well, then there you have it. After this week the only change will be I don't have to chop it up. I will eat 3 meals a day with no snacking and will drink a minimum of 64 oz. of water and take vitamins. I go back in 5 weeks for a "fill". If I'm not getting hungry in between meals I may not need a fill. If you want to learn more about the band I have you can go to http://www.realizeband.com/ and read all about it. I started back exercising this week and I have managed to make it every day since Monday. I can't wait to heal all the way and start my strength training also.

You know I have really been reflecting this week about the changes I am making in my life. Change seems to be the banner for 2009. Change for our nation, change for my body and spirit, change for several friends I know. Barack Obama writes "Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek." This speaks volumes to me, because for the first time I really took a step towards change that required courage on my part. It's so easy for us to say we are going to do this or that and we seem to fall back into our same old patterns. But until we put actions to our words they are no more than that, just words. I encourage each of you to find something in your life that requires you to step out and make a change and take a deep breathe and do it! It may be starting a new bible study, changing your diet, stopping a bad habit, relocating to a new city or just an attitude change, whatever it is, grab a hold of it and take the steps to doing it! It is scary, it is exciting, but most of all it is change. And as Henri Bergson says "To exist is to change, to change is to mature, to mature is to go on creating oneself". How intriguing, how inspiring, how wonderful! God is right there with you every step of the way and He will see you through it all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am also trying to lose weight this year also. It is so hard but I have to keep myself surrounded by support which I am glad you are doing as well. Proud to say I have lost 11 lbs since New Years. Together we can do this. I don't know how much I believe in the whole Obama Change the world crap but we can change ourselves it is one thought, one minute, one hour, and one day at a time. My company does a Biggest Loser Club at work and the last line of the pledge card we all signed say "I will not quit on myself". That has meant so much to me. I say it to myself several times a day in those weak moments. Another thing that has helped me is writing down a list of things I don't want to have to do anymore. For example: I don't want to have to shop at Lane Bryant, Catherines, Jessica London, ect anymore. I want to be able to buy off the rack at Macys. Another example: I want to stop being a "parking stalker" just to get a closer spot to the door so I don't have to walk instead of just taking the 1st spot available. I was able to list 20 things that are caused by me being overweight that I don't want in my life anymore. It has been very helpful in those weak moments. I am glad to hear you are doing so great. It is so exciting to hear about the 17 lbs that have already come off. Just think how much weight that is! We have a long hill to climb but at least we actually have our shoes on and have started up the hill. Congratulations on doing so well! Can't wait to hear more.

Christie... said...

Deana, I am so proud of you! You are a determined, intelligent, beautiful woman and you can do this! Thank you for your support and prayers and know that you have mine also. I love you, Aunt Christie (the only Democrat in Tennessee)