Saturday, January 10, 2009

Gastric Banding Surgery, the beginning


Well, it has been a very long time! I'm sure there were things I could have been writing about, but just didn't. Now I am undertaking a new adventure and feel the need to bring you along on this journey. On January 14th, 2009 I will have a minor surgery. That is so funny to me, I mean really is any surgery minor? I will be having gastric banding surgery. Some refer to it as Lapband, however this is a brand and the brand I will be having implanted is called Realize, which seems rather appropriate for me. The gastric banding is a tool that I can use to help me control my hunger and my portions. I will still need to make wise choices and be very careful on how I chew my food.

I am very excited about this new chapter in my life and look forward to the changes that will come. I have been overweight for many years and have never been able to get control of it, so I truly pray (and I have done alot of that lately) that this is the tool I need for success.

I began this journey back in October when I went to have lunch with my niece at her school. I arrived a little early and went to the cafeteria to wait for her. I proceeded to sit on what I can only described as a small saucer stuck on a post...


These work well for children, but when introduced to middle age overweight adults, you are looking for disaster. I sat down and within seconds the saucer crumbled and fell to the floor. Being the athletic person I am I was able to catch myself before being tarpooned by the remaining pole. I was humiliated! My face was as red as Rudolph's nose and tears were beginning to form in my eyes. I laughed of course to try and ward off any real humiliation and the roomful of middle and high schoolers laughed with me. The teachers reassured me that it happens more often than I'd think and not to worry about it and the cafeteria worker instructed me to throw the pieces away in the trash. I had turned over the "diet" coke so I asked for a rag to clean it up. Once I cleaned up my mess, I stood away from the tables to wait on my niece. I still was fighting back tears and noticed that the kids were still whispering and pointing at me, which of course only made me feel even more embarrassed. I began to think of my niece and the humiliation she may feel if she entered and noticed everyone pointing and laughing our way and I couldn't take it any longer. I went out to the hallway to wait on her and once she arrived I lost it. I cried like a baby and explained to her in short form what had happened and that I just couldn't have lunch with her. I left and immediately went home to look up when the next seminar was on weight loss surgery. It was the next day. I went and listened to the Doctor discuss the different alternatives for weight loss surgery and decided on gastric banding. It is less evasive and reversible, if need be, than gastric bypass surgery. I filled out paperwork and the process began. They got in touch with my insurance company, I saw my regular Doctor and gathered records from her and the rest as they say is history. I'm getting ready to have surgery.

I do not tell you this story for you to feel sorry for me, only for you to know where the breaking point was. I am responsible for the shape I am in and I am responsible on how I improve it. Nowhere and noone can do that for me. I appreciate all your support and prayers and definitely will keep you posted. Here is a picture of me now and I will periodically post pictures along the way.





6 comments:

Stephanie said...

Aunt Christie, I am so proud of you & so excited to read about the journey you are about to embark on : ) haha That doesn't sound like me, but I said it! I love you so much & wish I could be there more! You are a strong, BEAUTiFUL woman no matter what size you are but now you'll be able to add SEXiEST woman in Mt Juliet to the list : ) hehe Love you! Hope you get your counter fixed!!

CindyB said...

You go girl! Love ya, Mr. Chickabee

Anonymous said...

Story made my heart hurt for you, but as you and I always say about someothers in our life....God has to bring us to the end of ourselves. That was your end and now this is the new beginning. I love you my sister n law and you are in my prayers daily. I am very proud of you!!!

Anonymous said...

I wanted you to know that we are thinking about you & praying for you. I don't know if I ever told you this, but when the girls were little, someone (I honestly don't remember who) made a comment about you in a picture about your weight....& one of the girls said "I love her so much, I never even noticed her weight." And the other agreed. That being said......We all love you no matter what! But I am happy for you and wish you nothing but the best! Have a wonderful day!!! Love, Paula

Anonymous said...

As a fellow weight struggler I know that making the right choices is not easy but this choice, to get healthy, is the best thing you can do for yourself. Some days are going to be tough and others even tougher but just know that we are all here for you and love you no matter what. What a blessing and encouragement it is to know that fat or skinny you are adored by so many people. Can't wait to hear the good reports. We will be praying for you on the 14th no matter how "minor" of surgery it is. Please continue to post more pictures. I have this beautiful little silver frame I got for Christmas that I can keep updated pictures in. ; ) haha

Anonymous said...

Ok, my FRIEND! Ready? Set! GO...I admire you for so very many reasons but the latest? Your willingness, your courage and your ability to assume responsibility!

You have been a great encouragement to me in many areas of my life and funny as it may sound.....FITNESS is one of them. Honestly, reguardless of ones size, making the "right" choices, and staying committed to a exercise regiment isn't always easy. (Even for us smaller ones)

You are going to do beautifully and I'll be there working it out right there beside you.

Ok Chica, love you lots...see you in the morning!

V.