Friday, August 12, 2005

Back Up!

Imagine, if you will, that you have taken over 200 photos of your vacation. They were wonderful, they will invoke memories of a time gone by. Now imagine the only picture you have is the one in your mind..... they are all lost and with an nasty little message that says "All data has been lost".... WHY? It was a major mistake. I did not download my digital camera every day while on vacation. I know better. I know that having my pictures on one system is never safe. I went to the maker of the memory card and they offered me a demo of their recovery software to see if I could recover my data. Guess what? Even the recovery software said "Are you crazy for not downloading the pictures". Ok, not exactly, but it too was unable to recover my pictures. Oh did I tell you that this was not just one of my vacations, it was two of them. I should be beaten for procrastinating and not downloading after the first vacation. It should be punishable by death, that I didn't do it after the second! I had a friend tell me today that this is the reason she doesn't own a digital camera. I told her that it is no different than accidentally exposing your film or losing the film canister. It happens! I don't like it and am sick at my stomach. I watch these organizing shows that like to tell you that your memories are in your head and you don't need "stuff" or pictures to remember. Obviously they don't have a mind like mine. It gets overexposed all the time. I need the pictures, just like air. I love looking back and seeing the amazing changes over the years. My house is filled with pictures of family and friends. My computer is overloaded with way too many pictures. I love it! I like scrapbooking. I like creating slideshows of vacations and events. I like sharing my photos with family and friends. I like boring friends when they come over by showing them what I have created. I leave you with one photo that was saved. Can you believe this was it! Remember memory cards do go bad. Storing and deleting constantly will eventually "wear" them out. So back up often. I figure my card lasted through about 2000 pictures and no more!

1 comment:

Mise en Place said...

Oh My Man! That is enough to make ME spend "crazy" money on a external hard drive and SAVE every last bit of information that I have on my computer. UGH!